GMP docs not shipped "due to licensing"

Simon Sobisch simonsobisch at gnu.org
Mon May 30 09:31:53 BST 2022

Am 30.05.2022 um 10:22 schrieb Ansgar:
> On Mon, 2022-05-30 at 10:15 +0200, Simon Sobisch wrote:
>> Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document
>> under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.3 or
>> any later version published by the Free Software Foundation; with no
>> Invariant Sections, with the Front-Cover Texts being “A GNU Manual”,
>> and
>> with the Back-Cover Texts being “You have freedom to copy and modify
>> this GNU Manual, like GNU software”.
>>
>> Can you please share where the licensing issue is? I don't think
>> that's  the GFDL - because this manual has no invariant sections - is
>> it?
>
> The problem are the "Front-Cover Texts" and "Back-Cover Texts".
>
> Ansgar

Thank you for the quick answer. This part is just about those two texts?
I think it would be useful to have a bit elaboration on it in the file
gmp/debian/README.Debian.

Maybe my understanding is not correct - then please share some light on
this - but the parts you refer as problems only mean that Debian would
have to either ship the distributed generated documentation (html and/or
pdf) as-is or generate the docs without patching away the sub-title "A
GNU Manual" and the sentence “You have freedom to copy and modify this
GNU Manual, like GNU software” at then end of the documentation, no?

Would there even be a reason to patch those?

I'm asking both "out of interest" and because of the documentation for
the gnucobol package (currently dropped [missing only in debian], but is
already in testing again).

Thanks again,
Simon