RFP: SAIL image decoding library

Andrius Merkys merkys at debian.org
Wed Oct 18 06:38:52 BST 2023

Hi Dmitry,

On 2023-10-17 16:25, Dmitry Baryshev wrote:
>  > Does it produce desired Debian packages?
>
> I've just pushed a couple of fixes to the Debian rules. I'm able to
> build packages on LUbuntu 23.04. Maybe a couple of small fixes are still
> needed to build packages on Debian. So the recommended git sha to use is
> 4705cb4cf96. It's a release candidate and ready to use in client
> applications.

In Debian the common practice is to separate the upstream repository
(i.e., the package source) from packaging repository (i.e., where Debian
packaging instructions are being developed). Common practice is to host
the latter on salsa.debian.org, usually together with the package
source. Thus I would suggest following this approach. I have put a short
guide about how to do that [1].

>  > Are these packages lintian-clean?
>
> The only error Lintian showed is "unknown distribution", but this is
> because I run it on Ubunutu.

Right.

>  > Do you know any software already in Debian which would benefit from
> having SAIL in Debian?
>
> It's a library and I guess end users will benefit from it.

OK, makes sense.

Since this is an image decoding library, my personal opinion is that it
would better fit the scope of Debian Multimedia Team instead of Debian
Science Team.

[1] https://wiki.debian.org/AndriusMerkys/PackagingInSeconds

Best wishes,
Andrius