[Debian-science-sagemath] Sage 7.6 testing migration blocked by giac

Ximin Luo infinity0 at debian.org
Tue Jun 20 10:55:00 UTC 2017

Tobias Hansen:
> On 06/20/2017 10:56 AM, Ximin Luo wrote:
>> Tobias Hansen:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> dependencies of sage 7.6 have now started to migrate to testing, but
>>> sage 7.6 can't migrate because giac is blocked due to missing builds on
>>> armel, armhf and mipsel due to #855078. That means until giac can
>>> migrate, we have a broken sage 7.4 in testing.
>>>
>>> Ximin, did you see that there are new comments on #855078? Maybe they help?
>>>
>> Hi, I took a look and the build failures look unrelated to #855078. This bug is a segfault on non-x86 64-bit arches, the build failures we're seeing seem like build rule issues, and fixable. I'll take a look later today.
>>
>>> Also, any ideas how we can prevent such incomplete migrations that break
>>> the old sage version in the future?
>>>
>> I actually was not expecting giac to built on armhf/mipsel and was surprised that it did before. But if it's too hard to fix, the easy way to force the migration (for this and future packages) is to upload a version that only declares Architecture: amd64 i386.
>>

> I meant more generally. This can happen every time we upload a new bunch
> of packages for a new Sage version to unstable. If we don't get
> everything to migrate to testing together it can easily break Sage in
> testing.

In those situations, if we control the package, we could do similar to what we did in brial (0.8.5-4) and add a Breaks: sagemath (<= XXX) to prevent testing migration, until the newer version of sagemath and all its dependencies are ready to go in.

GPG: ed25519/56034877E1F87C35
GPG: rsa4096/1318EFAC5FBBDBCE
https://github.com/infinity0/pubkeys.git