[Debian-science-sagemath] arb: headers with generic names

Jerome BENOIT calculus at rezozer.net
Tue Sep 11 07:07:15 BST 2018

On 11/09/18 08:56, Julien Puydt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 11/09/2018 05:25, Ximin Luo wrote:
>> Jerome BENOIT:

>>> A .pc file would be very fine, but arb is at the end of a chain: gmp, mpfr, flint, arb
>>> gmp, mpfr, and flint do not come with a .pc
>>>
>>> For this reason, I guess arb must follows its predecessors.
>>> gmp and mpfr have basically one header, flint a bunch of them gathered in a folder.
>>> For this respect arb is more like flint: its headers may be gathered in a folder.
>>>
>>> Otherwise, I think that submitted a patch to the upstream author is the best approach.
>>
>> Putting them in a separate folder solves the problem of co-installation, but does not solve the problem of potentially-conflicting "#include <>" directives. To solve this problem the sources (and anyone depending on them) do have to be patched, ideally by upstream.
>>

> Yes, flint-arb upstream should break things to make them more correct.
>
> Adding .pc files to the various other upstreams would be a nice feature though.

Of course, but this must be done by the upstream maintainer themselves.
Note that most software using GMP comes with their own GMP macro (see mpfr).

Whatever, gmp and mpfr maintainers could do it since a very long time,
so I guess that they do not want to do so. On the other hand, they make
the effort to gather their respective header material into one header.

Jerome