[Debian-science-sagemath] nbsphinx 0.5: issue with ipywidgets

Gordon Ball gordon at chronitis.net
Tue Dec 31 13:43:25 GMT 2019

On Mon, Dec 30, 2019 at 11:11:38PM +0800, Dima Pasechnik wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 30, 2019 at 10:41 PM Jerome BENOIT <calculus at rezozer.net> wrote:

> > > I haven't looked in detail, but I would guess that it might be because
> > > we currently package a pretty outdated version of ipywidgets (6.0,
> > > current upstream is 7.5).
>
> these old versions are most probably due to the need to maintain
> python2/3 compatibility.
> Not sure what's Debian plan on this is.

This is not the case. Python2.7 support has already been dropped from
this package. The problem isn't the python libraries, which are
uncomplicated, but the build required for the accompanying javascript
library which provides the client-side/embedded implentation of the
widget. Upgrading from the current version requires several new packages
(phosphor, bits of jupyterlab), either packaging or emulating the build
tool they use (lerna), dealing with incompatibilities in their preferred
typescript version and the debian version, and finally bringing it all
together into a working build. Ximin did a heroic amount of work in the
past getting version 6 to work, and I haven't found time to do the same
for version 7.