[Debian-science-sagemath] Final touches

Ximin Luo infinity0 at debian.org
Tue Feb 19 09:36:00 GMT 2019

Jeroen Demeyer:
> On 2019-02-19 10:16, Tobias Hansen wrote:
>> Do we need runtime dependencies on cython and sphinx?
>
> That depends on what you want. If you want all doctests to pass, then yes: doctests do depend on Cython and Sphinx.

We are able to express 3 levels of runtime dependencies in Debian - Depends, Recommends and Suggests. There are no hard rules on what goes where but there is a general convention that Depends is for vital things, Recommends is for "standard" user-level things, and Suggests are totally optional. I would suggest for sagemath:

1. Depends is for all mathematical functionality.
2. Recommends is for extra user-oriented stuff like commands to pretty-print docs.
3. Suggests could be for power-user or dev-oriented stuff like additional tools needed to run `sage -t`.

All of these would need to be added to the "Build-Depends" for the sagemath source package since we run the tests during the build.

However if cython/sphinx aren't needed for (1) or (2) then we can avoid having the sagemath binary package depend on them, saving users some disk space.

GPG: ed25519/56034877E1F87C35
GPG: rsa4096/1318EFAC5FBBDBCE
https://github.com/infinity0/pubkeys.git