[Debian-science-sagemath] [sage-devel] Upcoming Debian freeze

Jerome BENOIT calculus at rezozer.net
Tue Jan 8 02:35:59 GMT 2019

Hello,

On 07/01/2019 20:45, E. Madison Bray wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 7, 2019 at 5:35 PM Jerome BENOIT <calculus at rezozer.net> wrote:

>>> Thanks!

>>> Out of curiosity, what's tricky about it?  I noticed that there's a
>>> python-cysignals-base, and python-cysignals-pari (the latter being the
>>> one required for Sage).  Does it have to do with that?  I wonder if
>>> there's anything that could make it easier (it really *shouldn't* be
>>> hard...)
>>
>> What is tricky is the integration with the Debian machinery to build Python packages
>> and the fact that Cygsignals mix Python and autotools tools for setting up:
>> Python and autotools set up machineries are not friendly to each other,
>> and cython is not as flexible as C can be (regarding flags).
>
> Interesting--in the past I have complained about cysignals doing
> exactly this, because it is non-standard.  On the other hand, the only
> alternatives I can think of would be something like SCons or Waf, and
> I'm not as familiar with them, plus I don't see anything inherently
> wrong with calling an autoconf script from Python, so I kind of
> resigned to it.
>
> Would it create less trouble for debhelper if the configure script for
> cysignals weren't at the top-level of the source?

First, I am quite familiar with autotools machinery, but less with Python. Whatever.
Since Cygsignals is to the face of the world a Python module, the best would be to have
a transparent Python setup. By transparent, I meant that at building time the end-user
should not see the C and cython stuff that happens behind the scene. My understanding is
that cython is not yet ready for that.

Having said that, as packager you must be ready to face this kind of issue:
sometimes packaging is not as easy as it seems.

Cheers,
Jerome

--
Jerome BENOIT | calculus+at-rezozer^dot*net
https://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=calculus@rezozer.net