[Debian-science-sagemath] Debian packaging

E. Madison Bray erik.m.bray at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 12:52:43 GMT 2019

On Thu, Jan 17, 2019 at 1:38 PM Tobias Hansen <thansen at debian.org> wrote:

> On 1/17/19 1:28 PM, Jeroen Demeyer wrote:
> > So GAP itself is fine? I thought that there was potentially a problem with the patches that Sage requires to GAP.
>
> Yes, Bill applied 0002-kernel-add-helper-function-for-writing-error-message.patch and 0003-Prototype-for-GAP_Enter-Leave-macros-to-bracket-use-.patch but not 0001-a-version-of-the-writeandcheck.patch-from-Sage-that-.patch and missing the latter at least doesn't seem to cause failing doctests (I think).

Regarding 0001-a-version-of-the-writeandcheck.patch-from-Sage-that-.patch,
it is rather different from the version of the fix which was
ultimately accepted upstream:

https://github.com/gap-system/gap/pull/3102

The path from that PR really ought to be applied to the GAP package in
Debian.  There's no good reason not to and it's important for GAP to
function properly in non-interactive use.

0003-Prototype-for-GAP_Enter-Leave-macros-to-bracket-use-.patch also
differs significantly from the version of the patch that has (almost)
been approved at https://github.com/gap-system/gap/pull/3096
Nevertheless, for now I might keep using the old patch, since either
way the only dependent of GAP which this affects currently is sage,
and the prototype patch is already well-tested and working in sage
8.6.