[Debian-science-sagemath] name of arb library in Debian and adjustments needed

Dima Pasechnik dimpase at gmail.com
Mon Jul 15 13:49:40 BST 2019

On Fri, Jul 12, 2019 at 11:58 AM Jerome BENOIT <calculus at rezozer.net> wrote:

> On 12/07/2019 14:39, Dima Pasechnik wrote:

> >> This choice is made to avoid name collision.
> >> I am not so sure of what you want.
> >> The patches are applied as Debian patches (read debian centric patches).
> >>
> >> Ideally arb would come with a pkg-config meta data file.
> >
> > I agree - there is https://github.com/fredrik-johansson/arb/issues/272
> > to deal with this. Probably we need to ping Fredrik (in CC) on this.
>
> It must be kept in mind that arb is the end of a long chain of libraries that do not come with pc meta data files,
> the first of the chain being GMP. A more practical idea is to write a m4 file. You can write your own m4 file
> without waiting for upstream work.

A quick way would be  to create src/sage/env.py.in, with a template for, say,
`aliases["ARB_LIBRARIES"]` in `cython_aliases`
filled in by a call to AC_CONFIG_FILES.

This would be setting a precedent for sagelib (there are so far no
Python files treated this way).

I wonder whether this might create extra issues for packaging.

Dima