[Debian-science-sagemath] Jupyter notebook dependency

Ximin Luo infinity0 at debian.org
Mon Jul 22 16:59:00 BST 2019

Gordon Ball:
> Sagemath currently builds the package sagemath-jupyter, which in turn
> depends on python-notebook (ie, the python 2 notebook server).
>
> Jupyter notebook 6.0 has recently been released, which drops support for
> python 2.7.
>
> Looking in the source for sagemath, the only place I can find where the
> notebook is directly imported from is in
> src/sage/repl/ipython_kernel/install.py:313, then only to test whether
> the notebook server is installed. In the debian package, this file looks
> superfluous to me. This suggests it should be possible to depend on the
> python3 notebook server without compromising the ability to run the
> custom sagemath python2 kernel. (It's possible my fairly simple search
> here has missed some deeper entanglement).
>
> Would it be possible to change the notebook dependency so that I can
> update jupyter-notebook without causing uninstallable?

This sounds reasonable, but you may want to test more deeply by building it and also running it afterwards as a user. Fancy dynamic-import tricks are possible in Python although I don't remember that Sage does any of that stuff.

GPG: ed25519/56034877E1F87C35
GPG: rsa4096/1318EFAC5FBBDBCE
https://github.com/infinity0/pubkeys.git