[Debian-science-sagemath] ticket #23024 introduces two new standard SageMath packages

François Bissey frp.bissey at gmail.com
Fri Mar 1 19:24:39 GMT 2019

The hardest bit to deal with (I was listening on the ticket) was the intersphinx documentation
thing. Actually there are still bits I am not satisfied with gentoo side.
1) you need the html documentation to be installed
2) distro have a scheme they adhere to for documentation that may not coincide with sage’s one
So I had to deal with those two things to build sage’s doc.
Gentoo require doc to be installed under /usr/share/doc/$pkg_name-$fullversion
the current version for pulpy in sage-on-gentoo is 0.8.4-r1 (r1 because I had
to bump the version because I initially didn’t install the doc). Further html
documentation is installed in a “html” subfolder.
Which brings to the next issue I have in the future, which is more general.
In the future you release pplpy 0.8.5 and I package it. If it is compatible
with the present sage, that means I will have to rebuild the documentation
if a user decide to upgrade it. That may also make my pre-made binary documentation
useless. In short for documentation purpose we may just have tied sage to a
particular version of pplpy.

François