[Debian-science-sagemath] sagemath and Python 3

Tobias Hansen thansen at debian.org
Wed Sep 4 17:25:59 BST 2019

Hi,

I have started to switch over the sagemath package to Python 3 and it is going surprisingly smooth. There are some more failing doctests but nothing critical.

It seems that the only dependency that needs to be changed is pynac. It is currently linked to libpython2.7 and this causes a segfault in sage. It can be switched to Python 3 by changing the Build-Dependency to python3-dev and passing PYTHON=python3 to configure. However, that seems to require a soname change (especially because the current one was also used in buster), so what do we do, custom soname until the next time upstream bumps it?

The only python dependency that doesn't have a python3 equivalent is sagenb. I don't know if it is compatible with Python 3, but since it's deprecated I think we can just drop it right?