[Debian-science-sagemath] sagemath and Python 3

Dima Pasechnik dimpase at gmail.com
Sun Sep 8 12:00:34 BST 2019

On Sun, Sep 8, 2019 at 11:41 AM Tobias Hansen <thansen at debian.org> wrote:

> On 9/6/19 2:10 PM, Tobias Hansen wrote:

> >> Aren't you far behind the develop branch? Note that Sage 8.8 is far
> >> from being fully ported to Python 3.
> >> Sage 8.9.beta9 is much closer. (and this warning is gone too)
> >>
> >> Dima
> >
> > Ok, thanks for the hint. I think I will just try the beta then.
> >
> > The (almost) finished Python 3 port is coming just at the right time. The Python 2 removal in Debian has begun and sage is blocking lots of Python 2 packages from being removed. And even though this was not supposed to happen, the first Python 2 dependencies of sage were already removed from Debian.
> >
> > Best,
> >
> > Tobias
>

> Updating sagemath to 8.9.beta9 improved things. There are now 48 failing tests. The log is at [1]. Does anything look familiar to someone?

on a stock 8.9.beta9 with Python3 one gets roughly the following from ptestlong:
sage -t --long --warn-long 53.7
src/sage/combinat/root_system/weyl_group.py  # 7 doctests failed
sage -t --long --warn-long 53.7 src/sage/libs/eclib/interface.py  # 1
doctest failed
sage -t --long --warn-long 53.7
src/sage/rings/polynomial/polynomial_rational_flint.pyx  # 1 doctest
failed
sage -t --long --warn-long 53.7 src/sage/repl/attach.py  # 4 doctests failed
sage -t --long --warn-long 53.7 src/sage/libs/singular/function.pyx  #
1 doctest failed
sage -t --long --warn-long 53.7
src/sage/numerical/backends/generic_backend.pyx  # 2 doctests failed

So 10-15 tests are failing due to Sage's bugs, and the rest are likely
Debian's own - probably different package versions of some components
lead to this.