[Debian-science-sagemath] Sage 9.1 doesn't build as root

John Scott jscott at posteo.net
Thu Jun 4 17:01:10 BST 2020

Hi,

I found this trying to build the Sage 9.1 package in qemu-debootstrap/qemu-
user-static investigating the mipsel/mips64el issues. This made Sage 9.1 (but
not 9.0) upset:
checking for root user... yes
configure: error: You cannot build Sage as root, switch to an unprivileged
user.  (If building in a container, use --enable-build-as-root.)

Policy says that builders need not support or honor Rules-Requires-Root, so a
fix would look something like this in debian/rules
ifeq ($(DEB_RULES_REQUIRES_ROOT), binary-targets)
override_dh_auto_configure:
    dh_auto_configure -- --enable-build-as-root
endif

I was planning to send a patch but I couldn't get one to work. I hope others
better acquainted with dh and GNU Make's quirks may have better ideas.

Sincerely,
John Scott