[Debian-science-sagemath] Sage 9.4 in Debian status

Tobias Hansen thansen at debian.org
Sun Dec 5 14:12:58 GMT 2021

Hi,

I wanted to give you an update on the status of updating the packaging of sagemath to make use of all the improvements that upstream have done with respect to packaging. I worked on refactoring the package a year ago and then again last August but I had limited time and there were each time some road blocks like the file handle leak during doctesting.

Now I am at a state where I think we will soon have a cleaned up package for sagemath 9.4. I pushed my changes to git and it now builds with pybuild (except the docs) so it shouldn't be long until it can be uploaded. There is still some cleanup to do though.

Doctests are probably not working due to two issues:

- sphinx 4.3 compatibility: https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/32968

- a bug in matplotlib: https://bugs.debian.org/1001102

We further need the following changes in unstable:

- upload singular 4.2.1-p2 with a fix for theglobaldefs.h include.

- upload pynac built against the new singular and with the realpartloop.patch that I pushed to git.

We also have the following longstanding issues that would be nice to get done eventually:

- ipywidgets is very outdated making several patches for sagemath necessary and causing failing doctests: https://bugs.debian.org/896460

- 3D plots don't work, three.js should be updated.

I think once sagemath is transferred to the new Math Team it could be a good idea to use the salsa issue tracker to track such issues and todo items in a more informal (and neat) way than the bug tracker.

<https://ftp-master.debian.org/new/singular_1:4.2.1-p2+ds-2.html>