[Debian-science-sagemath] packaging sagemath

Torrance, Douglas dtorrance at piedmont.edu
Sat May 29 13:17:16 BST 2021

On Sat 29 May 2021 06:44:24 AM EDT, Jerome BENOIT wrote:
> On 29/05/2021 01:06, Torrance, Douglas wrote:
>> On Fri 28 May 2021 05:46:31 AM EDT, erentar2002 wrote:
>>> Sagemath 9.3 got released.
>>
>> While we're on the subject of packaging Sage 9.3, the new version now includes Singular 4.2.0 [1].  Macaulay2 also just bumped the minimum required version of Singular (well, factory, which is shipped with Singular) to 4.2.0 [2].
>>
>> I'd be interested in getting Singular 4.2.0 in experimental soon. I've played around a little bit with packaging it already [3] and soon should have a working draft that we'll start using for Macaulay2's GitHub workflows [4].
>
> I am the current maintainer of the singular package.
> I have now time before me. Please let me some time to work
> on getting Singular 4.2.0

Absolutely!  I didn't want to step on your toes, so I only pushed my work to my Salsa fork.  Feel free to use or ignore any of what I did.

>> One thing I'd like to do is split factory off into its own set of binary packages for use when building Macaulay2 [5].  Would there be any objections to that?

Would you be okay with doing this?  This isn't unprecedented, e.g. Fedora splits factory, factory-devel, and factory-gftables into separate rpms [6].

[6] https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/Singular/blob/rawhide/f/Singular.spec