[Debian-science-sagemath] using Debian Singular in latest Sage beta ?

Dima Pasechnik dimpase at gmail.com
Sat Feb 12 10:43:59 GMT 2022

Hi,
I am working on https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/32789
and found that the path to singular.hlp in Debian being problematic:

sage: from sage.libs.singular.singular import get_resource
sage: get_resource('i')
// ** Could not get 'InfoFile'.
// ** Either set environment variable 'SINGULAR_INFO_FILE' to 'InfoFile',
// ** or make sure that 'InfoFile' is at "/usr/bin/../share/info/singular.hlp"

(this is both in Debian 11 with Singular 4.1.1, and in Ubuntu Jammy
with Singular 4.2.1)

While this can be remedied by setting SINGULAR_INFO_FILE,
I wonder how Debian Sage deals with is. In particular, I see that Singular
executable is only able to find singular.hlp if SINGULAR_INFO_FILE
is set, otherwise one sees

> help;
// ** Displaying help in browser 'dummy'.
// ** Use 'system("--browser", <browser>);' to change browser,
// ** where <browser> can be: "dummy", "emacs".
   ? No functioning help browser available.

as opposed to

> help;
// ** Displaying help in browser 'builtin'.
// ** Use 'system("--browser", <browser>);' to change browser,
// ** where <browser> can be: "builtin", "dummy", "emacs".
HELP >>Top>>

File: singular.hlp,  Node: Top,  Next: Preface,  Prev: (dir),  Up: (dir)

                              *SINGULAR*

This actually looks like a bug in Singular Debian package(s).

Thanks
Dima