[Debian-science-sagemath] [RFP]: primecount -- count the primes below an integer

Tobias Hansen thansen at debian.org
Mon Jan 31 22:05:16 GMT 2022

On 1/31/22 12:35, Vincent Delecroix wrote:
> Le 31/01/2022 à 13:31, Dima Pasechnik a écrit :

>>> Thank you. Jerome uploaded primecount (it's in new) and I already did a successful test build of primecountpy and sagemath 9.5.
>>>
>>> Is there a reason why you didn't call the python module primecount? (Of course I understand why the project is called primecountpy.)
>>> The "import primecountpy as primecount" in the readme suggests that's the module name you really wanted.
>>
>> "primecount" was taken on PyPI - it's an interface to primecount
>> library, lacking features etc. in many ways, so I instead created
>> primecountpy (well, re-using the cython code from Sage).
>
> I second Tobias. It is much nicer to write in python
>
>     sage: import primecount
>
> rather than
>
>     sage: import primecountpy
>
> This is what is done for example with pplpy (name of the package)
> which is imported via
>
>     sage: import ppl
>
> This has nothing to do with the package name on PyPI.
>
> Vincent

But if another python module already uses the name, it's better not to hijack the name to make it clear which module is meant with an import.

Another small comment: The license is stated as GPL-2+ in primecount.pyx but the LICENSE file contains the GPL-3. It would be nice to make this more clear/consistent in the future.