[Debian-science-sagemath] SageMath and Debian: some links

Ximin Luo infinity0 at debian.org
Thu Aug 11 16:25:00 UTC 2016

Samuel Lelièvre:
> One silly question: is there any reason why the home page
> for the debian-science-sagemath mailing list has a url like [2]
> and not a simpler one like debian-science [10]?
>
> [10] https://lists.debian.org/debian-science/
>
> I couldn't find any explanation about the two different homes
> for Debian mailing lists on either [11], [12], [13].

> [12] https://lists.debian.org
> [13] http://lists.alioth.debian.org

Thanks for the links, Samuel!

The distinction between lists.debian.org and lists.alioth.debian.org is that they're run by different admin teams. There is no hard rule on which list belongs where. But generally, Alioth is more developer-oriented, and you'll notice very few -user lists on [13]. It's also easier and quicker to create lists on Alioth, since it's running gforge specifically designed for teams to work - ordinary developers can create new lists, not just the actual Alioth admins.

Also I didn't even realise debian-science at lists.debian.org existed. If I had, I might have used it instead of requesting a new list on Alioth. But we've also been generating quite a lot of sagemath-specific emails, so it's probably for the best that we separate these from the wider debian-science lists.

Yes, we at Debian should probably document these "conventions" somewhere more obvious. :(

GPG: ed25519/56034877E1F87C35
GPG: rsa4096/1318EFAC5FBBDBCE
https://github.com/infinity0/pubkeys.git