[Debian-science-sagemath] status page: legend: Waiting in NEW: a more distinctive colour ?

Ximin Luo infinity0 at debian.org
Sat Aug 20 19:23:00 UTC 2016

Jerome BENOIT:
> Hi,
>
> On 19/08/16 19:08, Ximin Luo wrote:
>> Jerome BENOIT:
>>> for the current status webpage, the colours for `Waiting in NEW'
>>> and `Up-to-date in experimental' are variant yellows that I found
>>> hard to distinct within the chart while they are a clear different
>>> meaning. So I thought about to adopt a more distinctive colour for
>>> NEW material: what about magenta/fuchsia ?
>>>

>> Hey, I picked the current colours to look like a "gradual transition"
>> of more/less work remaining. And actually I thought NEW vs "in
>> experimental" meant similar things in that regard. So I think fuchsia
>> wouldn't fit into that scale.
>
> Here is our disagreement:
> I will not say that NEW and experimental meant similar things:
> experimental material can be very old; concerning NEW, it is a limbo
> for both unstable and experimental; a package is NEW only once; NEW
> is not a distribution (no deb ball can be downloaded with apt based tools).

My reasoning was,

Up-to-date in stable = probably nothing left to do
Up-to-date in experimental = need to get this into unstable, a little bit of work
NEW = need to wait a bit, and then perhaps also get it into unstable (if it is aiming for experimental)
Not up-to-date = some more work to bring it up to date
Not in Debian = a lot of work to do the initial packaging

The ordering of some of these is indeed a bit subjective, and yes I am ignoring some specific details of what NEW means, as you pointed out. But I felt it was better to visually have similar related colours even if it's not completely correct or objective, instead of having unrelated colours which gets a bit confusing - especially if we add ITP/ITA/RFS later, then we'll need even more colours. Whereas, I would say just make them a dark red, either the same as "Not in Debian" or slightly lighter than this.

But anyway, I'm not a designer, I'm not too interested in discussing this in more detail. I will apply any patch you send in. :p Please do test it out first of course though.

GPG: ed25519/56034877E1F87C35
GPG: rsa4096/1318EFAC5FBBDBCE
https://github.com/infinity0/pubkeys.git