[Debian-science-sagemath] pari-sage or pari ?

Ximin Luo infinity0 at debian.org
Sun Aug 21 08:26:00 UTC 2016

Jerome BENOIT:
> Hi,
>
> On 20/08/16 21:42, Ximin Luo wrote:
>> Looks like Arch Linux don't try to fork pari, they just copy anal.h into sagemath's build tree:
>
>> https://git.archlinux.org/svntogit/community.git/tree/trunk/PKGBUILD?h=packages/sagemath#n113
>
>> If this works then it would be easier than maintaining a fork. (I do see that Arch sagemath doesn't use Arch pari - look at the "depends" further up in that file - but this could just be an oversight. If they download pari for sagemath, there is no reason to copy anal.h. I guess/hope someone tried to make it work with "the system pari" but forgot to add it to "depends:")
>
>> The only relevant pari patch in sage 7.3, that is relevant to Debian, is:
>
>> build/pkgs/pari/patches/stackwarn.patch
>
>> which doesn't seem that important tbh.
>

> The point of view of the pari package must also be taken into account:

Well, this is 1.5 years old and most of the discussion there is out of date and irrelevant now. They are taking about major patches that sage previously did to pari. However now, there is only the minor patch I mentioned above.

There is a big issue that the *version* 2.8-2771-gb70b447-1 is not a release version of pari so Bill is probably not going to want to package that. But as far as I can tell, it is the actual upstream "2.8-2771-gb70b447-1" version i.e. 2.8 with 2771 extra git commits (if I am reading that correctly), with only one minor extra patch.

GPG: ed25519/56034877E1F87C35
GPG: rsa4096/1318EFAC5FBBDBCE
https://github.com/infinity0/pubkeys.git