[Debian-science-sagemath] pari-sage or pari ?

Jeroen Demeyer jdemeyer at cage.ugent.be
Sun Aug 21 10:08:39 UTC 2016

> There is a big issue that the *version* 2.8-2771-gb70b447-1 is not a release version of pari so Bill is probably not going to want to package that. But as far as I can tell, it is the actual upstream "2.8-2771-gb70b447-1" version i.e. 2.8 with 2771 extra git commits (if I am reading that correctly)

No, that version is actually a development version *before* 2.8. But
recently, PARI-2.8.0 was released and Sage will use that version. See
also https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/21005

But as usual, sooner or later, Sage will probably use a development
version of PARI again. So you shouldn't package under the assumption
that Sage will always use a released version of PARI.

And there is indeed the minor stackwarn.patch which suppresses some
annoying and useless messages. For now, it seems like upstream PARI does
not plan to accept this patch.

Jeroen.