[Debian-science-sagemath] status page: legend: Waiting in NEW: a more distinctive colour ?

Jerome BENOIT calculus at rezozer.net
Sun Aug 21 12:04:48 UTC 2016

Hi,

On 21/08/16 10:54, Ximin Luo wrote:
> Jerome BENOIT:
>> On 20/08/16 22:42, Ximin Luo wrote:
>>> Jerome BENOIT:

>>> Oh so I have an idea, put NEW into the PTS column and only have one shade of yellow. We can reuse the existing colours like this:
>>
>>> ITP/ITA light red
>>> RFS orange
>>> NEW yellow
>>> PTS no colour
>>
>>> the downside is the version would be hidden whilst it's in NEW. But I can set it as a title="" tooltip.
>>
>>> I can also move the PTS column after next to the Debian column since they're more related.
>>
>>> What do you think?
>>
>> Keep things simple and readable for the rest of the world.
>>
>> Let keep the PTS which points to a full charts of useful data when it exists;
>> when the PTS webpage does not yet exist, put as substitute ITP xor NEW when possible.
>> ITA information is given in PTS, and it will not hurt to discard RFS (which is rather
>> a maintainer issue (when [s]he is not DM or DD) that a package one).
>> Within this scheme, a light red for the state ITP/NEW instead of grey.
>>

> I tried to implement this, but it was harder than I expected, and I really wanted to do other things today so I'm going to leave this for now.
>
> We didn't think about the following case:
>
> 1. A package is already in Debian in unstable/experimental at version X, so PTS already exists.
> 2. The package is also in NEW at version Y (because the new version brings in new binary packages).
>
> The "obvious behaviour" to display this is to show (1) in the Debian column and (2) in the PTS column.
>
> However, the existing logic in dss.py makes it very hard to do this - if there is a version in NEW that is higher than unstable/experimental, it will discard the info for the latter. So to implement "the obvious behaviour" we'd need to:
>
> (a) change get_status_and_debian_version() to not discard this data
> (b) refactor a lot of logic in print_tr() to handle this data
>
> and I just can not be bothered to do that right now, given that this is just a status page and doesn't directly improve sagemath packaging. Sorry :(

implement some easy to maintain and please burn your precious time to something else.

Jerome

- --
Jerome BENOIT, Ph.D. | jgmbenoit-at+rezozer*dot_net
http://www.rezozer.net/

- --
Jerome BENOIT | calculus+at-rezozer^dot*net
https://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=calculus@rezozer.net
AE28 AE15 710D FF1D 87E5  A762 3F92 19A6 7F36 C68B