[Debian-science-sagemath] 84 failed tests

Ximin Luo infinity0 at debian.org
Fri Oct 7 09:47:00 UTC 2016

Jeroen Demeyer:
> On 2016-10-06 21:12, Ximin Luo wrote:
>> Unfortunately the docbuild (even with _wip_docbuild2) still runs out of memory for me.
>
> Are you running the docbuild with many processes? On my laptop with 6GB of RAM, I can use at most 3 processes for docbuilding (in vanilla Sage) before it starts swapping. So I guess with 8GB, you should use at most 4 processes.
>
> What does "top" say? How much memory does a single Python process use when docbuilding?

Oh, thanks for that reminder. Actually I disabled parallel sphinx building temporarily [1], because it was making things hard to debug. But it looks like I only disabled it for the reference-manual building and not for the AllBuilder; I will try that next.

Once everything builds without parallel-build, I'll see if I can do the tweak that others mentioned, of using fewer processes for the docbuild.

On a side note, I'm pretty sure that this:

            except Exception:
                pool.terminate()
                if ABORT_ON_ERROR:
                    raise

in both places that it occurs in docbuild/__init__.py, does not work as intended. And then this messes up subsequent builds, and I get "not found" errors. This is partly why I (tried to) disabled parallel docbuilding in the first place. But I'll try to explore this in more depth and come back with some more details.

[1] https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/debian-science/packages/sagemath.git/tree/debian/patches/temp-disable-parallel-sphinx.patch

--
GPG: ed25519/56034877E1F87C35
GPG: rsa4096/1318EFAC5FBBDBCE