[Debian-science-sagemath] Library transition freeze coming up on November 5

Julien Puydt julien.puydt at laposte.net
Fri Oct 7 15:29:07 UTC 2016

Hi,

On 07/10/2016 17:15, Tobias Hansen wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I wanted to remind you all that the library transition freeze for Debian
> stretch is on November 5. That means if we want to have a chance of
> packaging Sage for the next Debian release, all libraries that already
> have reverse dependencies in Debian must be up-to-date in
> unstable/testing as soon as possible.
>
> Further freeze dates:
> 2017-01-05: "Soft" freeze (no new packages, no re-entry, normal migrations)
> 2017-02-05: Full freeze
>
> Of the packages on the Wiki page, the following look like library
> transitions might be necessary:
>
> brial/polybori (rdepends: singular)
> libfplll (rdepends: gap-float, sollya)

Doesn't ntl have a new upstream version available?

> linbox has no rdepends, but should be ready to be uploaded soon I think.
>
> I will take care of brial, what about libfplll? Sage uses version
> 4.0.5+git20160331-1 and we have 4.0.4-2 in unstable and 5.0.2-1 in
> experimental. We have the version used by Sage in the devel apt repo. Do
> we really need that version? If yes, can that be uploaded to unstable?
> Julien?

If I remember well the 5.x.x versions of fplll are not compatible with
the previous ones. I'll check again and report, but not before monday at
least.

> ipython is only up-to-date in experimental, does it need a transition?

Sigh... the ipython situation is complex : the current ipython in
experimental has almost nothing in common with the old ipython : in
fact, it requires quite a few other packages to come to feature parity!
Packages which we don't have as far as I know.

Cheers,

Snark on #debian-science