[Debian-science-sagemath] <DKIM> Re: Library transition freeze coming up on November 5

Tobias Hansen thansen at debian.org
Mon Oct 10 13:37:19 UTC 2016

On 10/10/2016 02:19 PM, Julien Puydt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 10/10/2016 15:12, Jerome BENOIT wrote:
>>
>> Ok,
>>
>> On 10/10/16 14:04, Julien Puydt wrote:
>>> Hi,

>>> That isn't about sage: sollya is part of Debian unstable and depends
>>> on fplll, so to push fplll 5.x.y in unstable, we need a library
>>> transition, and that has to happen before the freeze.
>>
>> I understood this part of the story; I was just curious.
>>
>> Here Sollya may not be the issue, but gap-float should be as the
>> upstream maintainer
>> does not have the extra time necessary to migrate to fplll 5:
>> is it possible to maintain a libflll4-dev for a while (read: beyond
>> the freeze) ?
>
> Well, there was a soname bump going from fplll 4 to fplll 5, so there is
> a libfplll0 and a libfplll2 ; that part is compatible.
>
> I'll need some mentoring : I have no clue how to make a new version
> 4.0.4-3 with a new binary libfplll4-dev, while there is already a
> 5.0.1-1 and a 5.0.2-1 :-/

If this is supposed to be temporary, one could upload a new version of
fplll 4 with libfplll4-dev (conflicts/breaks libfplll-dev) and fplll4
(conflicts/breaks fplll), upload gap-float using that, and then do the
fplll 5 transition for sollya, introducing libfplll-dev (conflicts
libfplll4-dev) and fplll (conflicts fplll4).

In principle one could avoid the transition altogether this way. That's
probably not what the release team wants to achieve with the transition
freeze...