[Debian-science-sagemath] Plan for ipython 5 transition

Tobias Hansen thansen at debian.org
Tue Oct 11 00:18:07 UTC 2016

(Please keep debian-science-sagemath at lists.alioth.debian.org in Cc)

Hi,

so the transition freeze is on November 5 and we would like to get
ipython 5 (and Jupyter) into unstable. It has been in experimental for a
while.

There are two categories of ipython reverse dependencies: The ones that
depend only on ipython and/or ipython3, and the ones that also depend on
packages that do not exist anymore in this form in ipython 5,
ipython(3)-notebook and ipython(3)-qtconsole.

Below is a list of all these reverse dependencies. I just built all the
ones (except one, which I will try later) that have a reverse dependency
only on ipython(3) successfully against ipython 5.1.0-1. Since there
were no problems at all, I hope the packages that have only a simple
dependency on ipython can also be assumed to work with the new version.

I would suggest we should file a transition bug against
release.debian.org very soon, to get the advice of the release team on
how to proceed. Then we should also very soon file bugs against the
packages that depend on ipython(3)-notebook and/or ipython(3)-qtconsole,
so that the maintainers can hopefully help us find solutions. These
packages are:

glueviz, lmfit-py, plotly, sardana, vistrails

Snark, do you want to file the bugs?

Here's the list:

# Build-Depend only on ipython / ipython3:

ipdb             builds with ipython 5.1.0-1
matplotlib       builds with ipython 5.1.0-1
nova             builds with ipython 5.1.0-1
patsy            builds with ipython 5.1.0-1
pysurfer         builds with ipython 5.1.0-1
python-cycler    builds with ipython 5.1.0-1
python-geopandas builds with ipython 5.1.0-1
python-skbio     builds with ipython 5.1.0-1
sfepy            builds with ipython 5.1.0-1
yade             not tried yet (one attempt took too long)

# Build-Depend on ipython(3)-notebook or ipython(3)-qtconsole:

glueviz: ipython (>= 2.3.0)
         ipython3 (>= 2.3.0)
         ipython3-qtconsole (>= 2.3.0)
lmfit-py: ipython-notebook
          ipython3-notebook
plotly: ipython-notebook (>= 2.3.0)
        ipython3-notebook (>= 2.3.0)

# Depend only on ipython / ipython3:

accerciser: accerciser
androguard: androguard
connectomeviewer: connectomeviewer
ipdb: python-ipdb
      python3-ipdb
plaso: plaso
pytango: python-pytango
         python3-pytango
python-pypump: pypump-shell
python-skbio: python-skbio
              python3-skbio
rabbitvcs: rabbitvcs-core
sfepy: python-sfepy
woo: python-woo
     python3-woo
yade: yade

# Depend on ipython(3)-notebook or ipython(3)-qtconsole:

glueviz: glueviz: ipython3
                  ipython3-qtconsole
sardana: python-sardana: ipython
                         ipython-qtconsole