[Debian-science-sagemath] singular4

Jerome BENOIT calculus at rezozer.net
Thu Oct 13 13:00:59 UTC 2016

On 13/10/16 13:09, Ximin Luo wrote:
> Jerome BENOIT:
>> Hi Again,
>>
>> On 12/10/16 14:15, Tobias Hansen wrote:
>>> Hi Jerome,
>>
>>> could you please be more specific what you are talking about? Is
>>> it about my commit to the packaging git to not compress
>>> singular.hlp? If yes, sorry about that, I thought it's such a
>>> minor change that it's easier that way.
>>
>> It is fine, but the issue was elsewhere: the documentation for
>> Singular4 is absolutely not supported: being able to read a data
>> file is fine, reading a faulty one is not.
>>

> In terms of technical functionality, I've verified that the
> uncompressed singular.hlp can still be processed by SageMath 7.3 and
> the 3 failing tests in src/sage/interfaces/singular.py will now pass.
> [1]

good, singular 4 for Sage is new.

 Whether the help text is accurate or up-to-date is a different
> question,

This file is supposed to be generated from the source.
The documentation part is not well distributed right now, and more
important had to be fixed before.

 but I think we should still solve the compression issue
> even if the docs are crap.

I had no good reason to do so except misleading the audience.

Keep in mind that Singular for is in progress, as weel as it Debian package.
In particular, the documentation is not uptodate, and the test are not present.
My first object was to get a working Singular 4.

> However, I just remembered a minor detail of Debian policy [2]:
>
> "Packages must not require the existence of any files in
> /usr/share/doc/ in order to function [115]. Any files that are used
> or read by programs but are also useful as stand alone documentation
> should be installed elsewhere, such as under /usr/share/package/, and
> then included via symbolic links in /usr/share/doc/package."

Here I can follow the GAP packaging approach: put the doc within
the main package as part of the library, and  add a link in the
Debian doc package.

> I'm not sure the best way to solve this, so I'll leave it to you.
> Loosely speaking, SageMath does not "need" singular.hlp to function,
> so we *could* leave things as-is. Strictly speaking, the tests do
> "need" singular.hlp to pass (unless we disable them), however.

So, to step forward, the hlp will be furnished.

Right now, the issue is the readline6 -> 7 migration, what is more
important from my view.

> (I didn't file a bug, because this commit was not released yet.)

> [1]
> https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/debian-science/packages/sagemath.git/commit/?id=0eed64f4d4720dfc7f93b55d6230b690cba9a9da

[2] https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-docs.html#fr115

- --
Jerome BENOIT, Ph.D. | jgmbenoit-at+rezozer*dot_net
http://www.rezozer.net/

- --
Jerome BENOIT | calculus+at-rezozer^dot*net
https://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=calculus@rezozer.net
AE28 AE15 710D FF1D 87E5  A762 3F92 19A6 7F36 C68B