[Debian-science-sagemath] Tests timing out

Ximin Luo infinity0 at debian.org
Sat Oct 15 11:59:00 UTC 2016

Tobias Hansen:
> Hi,
>
> when I tried sage with libgap 4.8.4 on 12 October I reported that some
> tests started timing out. Since then this has always been the case, also
> after switching back to gap and libgap 4.8.3. I just tested building at
> commit 8dbec07452ecfbee87f0 with a fresh chroot (and I deleted ~/.sage
> before) and it still happened that 8 tests timed out. While they are
> running, the cpu seems to be idling.
>
> It's still mostly the same tests as with libgap 4.8.4. (Back then
> src/sage/modular/abvar/finite_subgroup.py also timed out,
> src/sage/rings/integer.pyx did not.):
>
> sage -t --long
> src/doc/en/prep/Quickstarts/Statistics-and-Distributions.rst  # Timed out
> sage -t --long src/sage/interfaces/expect.py  # Timed out
> sage -t --long src/sage/interfaces/interface.py  # Timed out
> sage -t --long src/sage/interfaces/r.py  # Timed out
> sage -t --long src/sage/misc/sageinspect.py  # Timed out
> sage -t --long src/sage/rings/integer.pyx  # Timed out (and interrupt
> failed)
> sage -t --long src/sage/stats/r.py  # Timed out
> sage -t --long /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/sagenb/misc/support.py
> # Timed out
>
> I'm not sure how to debug this since there is no output. Any tips?
> Ximin, are you running apt-get dist-upgrade occasionally? I'm wondering
> why I'm getting this and you not.

Yes, I am getting this too, I documented it a bit in README.Debian. It is R related, but that package itself has not been upgraded since June.

To debug, you can: Give --verbose to see which test case it's hanging on. Running R manually works. Run the example manually inside ./sage and press Ctrl-C to get a backtrace.

I haven't yet looked into this further, so I don't have other ideas just yet.

BTW I have changed the packaging so it now installs stuff in debian/tmp. I think I fixed all the path issues, and now there are no new test failures. So you can "git pull" and try it out. It will invalidate your ccache though. Also to run the tests directly you will need to set SAGE_LOCAL and PYTHONPATH, as documented in README.Debian.

GPG: ed25519/56034877E1F87C35
GPG: rsa4096/1318EFAC5FBBDBCE
https://github.com/infinity0/pubkeys.git