[Debian-science-sagemath] Tests timing out

Ximin Luo infinity0 at debian.org
Sun Oct 16 13:34:00 UTC 2016

Ximin Luo:
> Tobias Hansen:
>> Hi,
>>
>> when I tried sage with libgap 4.8.4 on 12 October I reported that some
>> tests started timing out. Since then this has always been the case, also
>> after switching back to gap and libgap 4.8.3. I just tested building at
>> commit 8dbec07452ecfbee87f0 with a fresh chroot (and I deleted ~/.sage
>> before) and it still happened that 8 tests timed out. While they are
>> running, the cpu seems to be idling.
>>
>> It's still mostly the same tests as with libgap 4.8.4. (Back then
>> src/sage/modular/abvar/finite_subgroup.py also timed out,
>> src/sage/rings/integer.pyx did not.):
>>
>> sage -t --long
>> src/doc/en/prep/Quickstarts/Statistics-and-Distributions.rst  # Timed out
>> sage -t --long src/sage/interfaces/expect.py  # Timed out
>> sage -t --long src/sage/interfaces/interface.py  # Timed out
>> sage -t --long src/sage/interfaces/r.py  # Timed out
>> sage -t --long src/sage/misc/sageinspect.py  # Timed out
>> sage -t --long src/sage/rings/integer.pyx  # Timed out (and interrupt
>> failed)
>> sage -t --long src/sage/stats/r.py  # Timed out
>> sage -t --long /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/sagenb/misc/support.py
>> # Timed out
>>
>> I'm not sure how to debug this since there is no output. Any tips?
>> Ximin, are you running apt-get dist-upgrade occasionally? I'm wondering
>> why I'm getting this and you not.
>>

> Yes, I am getting this too, I documented it a bit in README.Debian. It is R related, but that package itself has not been upgraded since June.

It is readline related, it has a bad interaction with pexpect. The hang occurs both with and without sage's pexpect patch[1] so I kept the patch out for now.

I've worked around it by adding --no-readline to R's command line options for pexpect. The above tests now all pass for me (except 1 failure in integer.pyx which was already there before). I've push this to git, could you confirm the fix?

[1] one needs to first update the patch to pexpect 4.2.0 by replacing "self.__select" with "select_ignore_interrupts"

--
GPG: ed25519/56034877E1F87C35
GPG: rsa4096/1318EFAC5FBBDBCE