[Debian-science-sagemath] fpylll: dependency or dependencee of Sage ?

Ximin Luo infinity0 at debian.org
Mon Oct 17 11:04:00 UTC 2016

Jeroen Demeyer:
> To be very precise:
>
> - fpylll has a *build-time* dependency on Sage-the-library
>
> - Sage-the-distribution has a *run-time* dependency on fpylll

This is nevertheless a circular dependency. This is to be avoided, it increases the reasoning cost in trying to maintain and upgrade this stuff.

It seems like fpylll build-depends on Sage so that it can provide some API that returns Sage integers. The proper way to do this is to split out sage.rings.integer etc into a separate small package by itself, then have sagelib and fpylll both depend on this. Then there would be no circular dependencies.

In the meantime, it would be best (at least in Debian) to move the Sage-API of fpylll back to Sage, to avoid circular dependencies. Any tips on how we might do this?

GPG: ed25519/56034877E1F87C35
GPG: rsa4096/1318EFAC5FBBDBCE
https://github.com/infinity0/pubkeys.git