[Debian-science-sagemath] fpylll: dependency or dependencee of Sage ?: fplll 5.0.3

Julien Puydt julien.puydt at laposte.net
Fri Oct 21 05:45:22 UTC 2016

Hi,

On 20/10/2016 16:02, Jerome BENOIT wrote:

> On 19/10/16 21:07, Julien Puydt wrote:
>>
>> I had a look and I'm wondering if the ABI wasn't changed too:
>> modifying the interface of a class will change the size of the
>> structures and the storage order.
>
> Is the new ABI compatible with the former one ?

I would say it depends of the use:
(1) if you always do
A *a = api_call_create(args);
a->method1(args);
a->method2(args);
api_call_destroy(a);

or some such, then things should be ok, since you're not managing the
size of the mallocs yourself, and not poking in the data members yourself.

(2) but if you do something like:
A a;
or
a->member;
then chances are you won't take enough room on the stack for the added
variables, or read/write at the wrong place in memory for the member
variables.

But the short version of this discussion is of course : no, it's not
compatible.

> Is it envisaged to introduce any `version script' to fplll ?

Well, I see the FPLLL_LT_* variables were updated
(https://github.com/fplll/fplll/blame/master/configure.ac) (notice that
these were put in place in august because of me:
https://github.com/fplll/fplll/issues/185 ), but point (1) of the
instructions was applied, while I'm sure point (2) should have :
probably the soname version should have changed.

I reported to upstream as: https://github.com/fplll/fplll/issues/217

Cheers,

Snark on #debian-science