[Debian-science-sagemath] Jmol transition?

Ximin Luo infinity0 at debian.org
Fri Oct 21 17:33:00 UTC 2016

Tobias Hansen:
> I just realized that Jmol may also need a transition, if we want to
> update the package properly. :(
>
> It has these reverse dependencies:
>
> # Broken Depends:
> biojava3-live: libbiojava3.0-java
> biojava4-live: libbiojava4.0-java
> jalview: jalview
>
> # Broken Build-Depends:
> biojava3-live: libjmol-java
> biojava4-live: libjmol-java
> jalview: jmol-applet (>= 12.1.42)
>          libjmol-java (>= 12.1.42)
>
> But somehow I think spending a lot of time working on Jmol would be too
> much of a distraction. Can we just bundle the stuff we need with sage?

I have already hacked this into the sagemath package (in sagemath-deps / sagemath-deps-common) but this has zero chance of passing NEW.

I have some experience with java packaging, I can try to pick this up over the next week. The good thing is this package hasn't been updated in a few years so at least we're not trying to hit a moving target. The bad thing is this package hasn't been updated in a few years so probably all its dependencies are "too new" now.

Andreas, could you tell us some more details that need to be done? Just on a quick build attempt I can see the following:

- probably need to do something about that ugly jsmol.zip
- build requires you to press <enter>, this can probably easily be fixed
- build fails to compile due to (probably) mismatching naga API, more research needed to see if this is easily fixable.

I see earlier on in this bug thread other people mentioned jmolspec and jspecview, has that issue been resolved?

GPG: ed25519/56034877E1F87C35
GPG: rsa4096/1318EFAC5FBBDBCE
https://github.com/infinity0/pubkeys.git