[Debian-science-sagemath] Build-Depends on source itself [libgap-sage]

Bill Allombert ballombe at debian.org
Wed Nov 2 16:14:11 UTC 2016

On Wed, Nov 02, 2016 at 01:55:14PM +0000, Jerome BENOIT wrote:
> > Hello Jérome,
> > I was requested by Felix Salfelder to build gap-dev object files with
> > -fPIC for this purpose.
> > Instead of using sed, Sage should use a linker script, this would be
> > much cleaner.
> >
> > gap (4r6p5-3) unstable; urgency=low
> >
> >   * debian/rules:
> >    - build gap-dev object files with -fPIC to be compatible with use in
> >      shared libraries.
> >
> >  -- Bill Allombert <ballombe at debian.org>  Thu, 19 Sep 2013 15:00:06 +0200
>
> The request is 3 years old, and this is quiet a long time in software time-scale.

But not in the timescale of packaging SAGE in Debian, which started in 2006.

> I guest that Felix Salfelder had in mind something that deviates from Sage.

Felix was working on packaging Sage too.

Writing a linker script is the most likely way to get libgap in Stretch at this
point. The library transition freeze is in 3 days.

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe at debian.org>

Imagine a large red swirl here.