[Debian-science-sagemath] Build-Depends on source itself [libgap-sage]

Bill Allombert ballombe at debian.org
Wed Nov 2 16:27:34 UTC 2016

On Wed, Nov 02, 2016 at 12:11:37PM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 2, 2016 at 11:22 AM, Jerome BENOIT wrote:
>
> > Let give a try. I am dealing with the libgap-sage package [1].
>
> Thanks for the extensive details.
>
> > To begin with, GAP is a Computer Algebra System (CAS).
> > From an upstream point of view, libgap is not part of GAP itself.
> > libgap is rather a library wrapper for gap meant to get a better
> > access to the GAP kernel and to be used within Sage, which is a kind
> > a umbrella for multiple CAS (GAP, Singular, and a myriad of
> > scientific oriented software packages).
> > Note that, for now at least, GAP itself does not furnish any library; hence libgap.
>
> The libgap project seems like a workaround for this bug in GAP?

This is not a bug in GAP. GAP has its own language and does not
provide a C interface. It also uses its own memory manager which is
not compatible with malloc.

Designing a library implies defining an API and an ABI, something that
has not been formalized for libgap.

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe at debian.org>