[Debian-science-sagemath] jupyter-notebook/widgets

Gordon Ball gordon at chronitis.net
Mon Nov 7 19:57:21 UTC 2016

On 07/11/16 17:06, Ximin Luo wrote:
> Gordon Ball:
>> I have spent quite a few hours trying to work out why it doesn't work
>> with jquery-ui-1.12, without success. It isn't due to the debian
>> packaging of jqueryui (same issues just updating the npm package and
>> trying to rebuild). Nothing in the migration guide for 1.10 -> 1.11 or
>> 1.11 -> 1.12 obviously seems to be a reason, but I think it is something
>> to do with the way jupyter handles module loading.
>>
>> Unfortunately I don't have a deep enough knowledge of requirejs and
>> other hacks needed for big javascript projects to know how to dissect this.
>>

> Hey Gordon,
>
> I messed around quite a lot with requirejs in a previous job. I might be able to help. Could you talk about this issue in some more detail?

I *think* I have been able to patch the notebook issue, but perhaps you
can have a look at the patch and see if it makes sense [1].

The issue appears to have been that jquery-ui added an AMD loader
wrapper in 1.12, and the existing configuration assumed otherwise.

The relevant files are:
 * notebook/templates/page.html (notebook page template, including
browser-side requirejs config)
 * tools/build-main.js (requirejs configuration used to build the
main.min.js amalgamation at build time)
 * notebook/static/notebook/js/{pager,outputarea}.js (page components
importing jquery-ui)

[1]:
https://anonscm.debian.org/git/python-modules/packages/jupyter-notebook.git/tree/debian/patches/0004-jquery-ui-1.12-compatibility-changes.patch

So, hopefully jupyter-notebook is ready again, less any more surprise
libjs-* transitions.

Gordon