[Debian-science-sagemath] widgetsnbextension situation

Gordon Ball gordon at chronitis.net
Fri Nov 11 20:47:08 UTC 2016

On 10/11/16 18:32, Ximin Luo wrote:
> Ximin Luo:
>>> For simplicity, we could just bundle these all into the same Debian source package, yet build separate binary packages out of it. The version numbers would be the same, but we can encode the upstream different-version-numbers within the contents of those packages.
>>>

> We could do this in the package metadata too:
>
> Source: ipywidgets
>
> [..]
>
> Package: ipywidgets-widgetsnbextension
> Provides: python-widgetsnbextension (= 1.2.6)
>
> [..]
>
> Package: ipywidgets-jupyter-js-widgets
> Provides: node-jupyter-js-widgets (= 1.2.0)
>
> [..]
>
> Gordon, what do you think?

I think it probably does make sense to try and build everything from the
underlying git repo (github.com/ipython/ipywidgets), since if we use the
pypi tarballs we'll only end up having to repack-remove quite big parts.
The different version numbers are a bit of a pain, but the next version
will be 6.0.0 for everything which should simplify things.

It might be worth asking upstream if they intend to keep everything
bundled in one repository going forward, given that they should
logically be split between ipywidgets (python kernel specific) and
widgetsnbextension + jupyter-js-widgets (kernel agnostic).

I would probably have the widgets package as a separate
libjs-jupyter-widgets (since it exists as a npm-available package, and
might therefore conceivably be re-used by something else).

I did an initial packaging of ipywidgets from the pypi tarball [1], but
it's probably worth trying. I'm slightly concerned we might run into
problems with the pybuild tooling having two separate python packages
built from the same source, though.

Do I take it that you think it's worth trying to package
widgetsnbextension and the necessary javascript before the freeze? I'm
willing to try, but I can't guarantee how much time I will have available.