[Debian-science-sagemath] charpoly

Bill Allombert ballombe at debian.org
Sat Nov 19 17:43:22 UTC 2016

On Sat, Nov 19, 2016 at 05:18:37AM +0000, Jerome BENOIT wrote:

> Hello Forum,
>
> as a matter of fact, discarding the patch <GAP>/debian/patches/fix-compressed-six-files
> fixes the doctests failures related to gap (and libgap).
>
> I have just uploaded un unpatched version of gap at the deb-sci-sage repository:
> please double check !

Hello Jerome,
If I remove fix-compressed-six-files and rebuild the packages, then GAP
is unable to read compressed old-style .six files.

For example install gap-alnuth and do
?FieldByMatrices

With the patch fix-compressed-six-files applied, I get
gap> ?FieldByMatrices
Help: several entries match this topic - type ?2 to get match [2]

[1] Alnuth: FieldByMatrices
[2] Alnuth: FieldByMatricesNC

With the patch removed fix-compressed-six-files, I get

gap> ?FieldByMatrices
Help: no matching entry found
Help: 'FieldByMatrices' is currently undocumented.
      For details, try ?Undocumented Variables

which is wrong.

New-style .six files start by a comment lines so are not affected by the
upstream gap bug (which cause the first line to be lost, because rewind
does not work on pipe).

So it seems to me you need to apply fix-compressed-six-files to libgap
also.

Cheers,
Bill.