[Debian-science-sagemath] Required tasks for sage in stretch

Ximin Luo infinity0 at debian.org
Sun Nov 20 11:04:00 UTC 2016

Jerome BENOIT:
> Hello Forum,
>
> On 19/11/16 13:22, Ximin Luo wrote:
>> Jerome BENOIT:

>>> I guess this version is fine enough.
>>>

>> Files:
>>  jupyter_sphinx_theme/jupyter/static/bootstrap-3.3.4/*
>>  jupyter_sphinx_theme/jupyter/static/bootswatch-3.3.4/*
>
> quid boots{trap,watch}-2.3.2 ?

I think it is fine to keep these, because 2.3.2 is a major change from 3.3.*, but we only have the latter in Debian (look up "semantic versioning" which is what a lot of javascript libraries follow by convention).

"Ideally" we would remove it, if it's not needed and the theme works with bootstrap 3. But I think (I guess) it's not worth the time to check/do this, given everything else we need to do.

--

Regarding jquery, indeed they don't make specific backwards-compatibility commitments - what I said is only based on personal experience. For example, we're using Debian's system jquery for Rust documentation and that works well, but Rust upstream still uses 2.1.4. Also I'm packaging html2canvas right now, and with Debian's system jquery (3.1.1) the tests still pass - upstream is using 1.6.2.

They do break compatibility in some corner cases: https://jquery.com/upgrade-guide/ However, "Despite the length of this list, we believe that the majority are edge cases." and "Most of these changes address special situations and edge cases".

So I suggest you try it and see if it works. If lots of things break and it takes too long to fix, then keep it.

GPG: ed25519/56034877E1F87C35
GPG: rsa4096/1318EFAC5FBBDBCE
https://github.com/infinity0/pubkeys.git