[Debian-science-sagemath] Testing installed sagemath (and jmol)

Tobias Hansen thansen at debian.org
Sun Nov 20 15:42:15 UTC 2016

I did some further testing with the installed package.

sage works after exporting SAGE_LOCAL=/usr
I can start the jupyter notebook server (sage -n jupyter) in my chroot
after adding these lines to the schroot fstab (as described for /dev/shm
on the Wiki page):

/run           /run            none    rw,bind         0       0
/run/user      /run/user       none    rw,bind         0       0
/run/user/1000 /run/user/1000  none    rw,bind         0       0

Then I can run that in the chroot and access it from my normal browser
outside the chroot. The same for sagenb.

sagenb works but gives this warning with every output of sage:
"Error typesetting mathematics"

Due to missing jmol, 3D plots are done with canvas3d in sagenb (can be
rotated with the mouse) and with tachyon in jupyter-notebook (a static
image).

Due to missing thebe, the "Activate" button in the upper right corner in
the documentation in jupyter-notebook just turns the examples from a mix
of input and output into only the input. That's still useful, because
this can then easily be copied into a notebook and run. So I guess we
can just leave it like that. In sagenb the interactive documentation works.

Running the testsuite from the installed sage is still broken. For now
one needs to use the option --optional=sage, otherwise it looks for
installed optional packages and fails. Arch Linux has a patch to avoid
that (test-optional.patch). The tests also need the sage sources. I
tried pointing SAGE_SRC to an unpacked orig tarball, but that is not
enough...