[Debian-science-sagemath] GAP: issue related to compressed manual.six: PATCHES

Ximin Luo infinity0 at debian.org
Tue Dec 6 15:34:00 UTC 2016

Jerome BENOIT:
> Hello Bill, thanks for your comment.
>
> On 06/12/16 10:44, Bill Allombert wrote:
>>  This is too intrusive and does not solve any issue with gap.
>
> It is intrusive, I am agree. But it also solve the issue.
> I do not think that a mature software may use piping.

Why do you say this? Piping may be a bit untidy on the systems level, but on an abstract level it's a good way to *compose* arbitrary programs together, that are written in different programming languages, in a *generic* way.

I think the principle of trying to write everything in one language, is slightly misguided. I think it's reasonable for GAP to use gzip instead of zlib. For example if they wanted to switch to xz compression, they can just replace the program name. With an API, they would need to rewrite all the API calls.

Anyway, we don't need to argue about software engineering philosophy here. Concretely, we have potentially a 1-line patch to Sage to fix the issue. And upstream python have already fixed it in 3.5. I will see if I can test it tonight.

GPG: ed25519/56034877E1F87C35
GPG: rsa4096/1318EFAC5FBBDBCE
https://github.com/infinity0/pubkeys.git