[Debian-science-sagemath] GAP: issue related to compressed manual.six: PATCHES

Ximin Luo infinity0 at debian.org
Wed Dec 7 02:45:00 UTC 2016

Jerome BENOIT:
> Hello Ximin, can you strace ?

Sorry, it's late and I'm being quite useless.

>> $ ./sage -c 'gap.help('SymmetricGroup', pager=False)'
>> [..]
>> #W  corrupted 'manual.six': ##W (in stream: InputTextFile(/usr/share/gap/doc/t\

^ this was caused by me doing a typo. Look, I used single quotes twice there. Also the invocation is wrong, it should be

$ ./sage -c "print(gap.help('SymmetricGroup', pager=False)[:100])"

  50 Group Libraries

  When you start GAP, it already knows several groups. Currently GAP init

which works fine.

> $ python -c 'import subprocess; subprocess.Popen(["gap", "-q"], stdin=subprocess.PIPE).communicate("?SymmetricGroup")'
>
> gzip: stdout: Broken pipe
> Help: several entries match this topic - type ?2 to get match [2]
>
> [1] Reference: SymmetricGroup
> [2] Reference: SymmetricGroup (for a degree)
> [3] Reference: SymmetricGroup (for a domain)
>
> $ python -c 'import signal, subprocess; subprocess.Popen(["gap", "-q"], stdin=subprocess.PIPE,   preexec_fn=lambda: signal.signal(signal.SIGPIPE, signal.SIG_DFL)).communicate("?SymmetricGroup")'
> Help: several entries match this topic - type ?2 to get match [2]
>
> [1] Reference: SymmetricGroup
> [2] Reference: SymmetricGroup (for a degree)
> [3] Reference: SymmetricGroup (for a domain)

These examples were correct, indicating the original python bug. Another way to avoid the error messages is to add "2>/dev/null" to the gunzip invocation in GAP's src/sysfiles.c.

However, as far as I call tell, these do not cause any failures. In fact, I haven't been able to reproduce these Sage GAP failures that this bug is supposed to be about. Could you please copy and paste the test failures here, so that I know what I am supposed to be looking for?

I will also try tomorrow when I have a fresher mind and do a full rebuild from scratch.

GPG: ed25519/56034877E1F87C35
GPG: rsa4096/1318EFAC5FBBDBCE
https://github.com/infinity0/pubkeys.git