[Debian-science-sagemath] sagemath: git/master/debian: GAP stuff: comments

Tobias Hansen thansen at debian.org
Wed Dec 7 11:51:17 UTC 2016

On 12/07/2016 08:30 AM, Jerome BENOIT wrote:
> Hello Forum, I have some rapid comment concerning GAP
>
> I have read the man page sage.1 in the sagemath debian.
> 1] gap3 is no more distributed by Debian, so I guess that the option gap3 is meaningless (and must be discarded).
> 2] The python script src/sage/interfaces/gap.py loads some GAP packages and put them in a workspace; some of them
>    are already packaged, some other are not. It appears that some of them are installed through some
>    Depends/Recommends/Suggests chains, but other not. Only gap-core is in the sagemath d/control. How must we
>    enlist these packages (Depends/Recommends/Suggests) ? May they be put in the Build-Depends list as part of the tests ?
>
> Thanks,
> Jerome

Yes, the man page was generated with help2man. We should eventually
strip stuff that doesn't work for us from /usr/bin/sage, as in [1].

There's other stuff in sage-on-gentoo that we should probably adopt, for
example the cleaner way to handle sage-env [2,3]. We can use a patched
upstream sage-env for building the package and then install our own
simpler version of the file (like [2]). I already moved some of our
changes to the sage script and sage-env to separate patches to prepare
this change.

But first we have to fix the python problem.

[1]
https://github.com/cschwan/sage-on-gentoo/blob/master/sci-mathematics/sage/files/sage-7.4-exec.patch
[2]
https://github.com/cschwan/sage-on-gentoo/blob/master/sci-mathematics/sage/files/proto.sage-env-7.1