[Debian-science-sagemath] SAGE_SHARE location

Ximin Luo infinity0 at debian.org
Mon Dec 19 16:52:00 UTC 2016

Jerome BENOIT:
> On 19/12/16 16:33, Tobias Hansen wrote:
>> Hi list,
>
>> at the moment we have two folders under /usr/share with sage files,
>> namely /usr/share/sagemath with all the data files from the
>> sagemath-database-* packages and /usr/share/sage from sage itself.
>
>> Because of this we need the patch d0-paths-sharedata.patch.
>> We can get rid of the patch if we put everything in the same folder and
>> set $SAGE_SHARE accordingly, the question is which one is better?
>
>> Arch and Gentoo use /usr/share/sage while Fedora uses
>> /usr/share/sagemath... I think it would be easier for us to use
>> /usr/share/sagemath because then we just need to change the sagemath
>> package and not all the database packages.
>
>> Thoughts? Otherwise I'd implement this change in the evening.
>
> I guess sagemath is better (in particular to avoid potential collision).

My preference is slightly for sagemath.

However note that (if I remember right; have bad internet atm so can't check) upstream Sage assume that the sagemath-database-* packages store things underneath /usr/share/* and not /usr/share/sagemath/*, I mentioned this in the patch header and how we could potentially improve this situation.

Also the docs are installed in /usr/share/doc/sage, you might want to change that as well if you're making it all consistent.

I worry that it might take too much effort before our stable deadlines; perhaps you should experiment with this in a side branch for the time being?

GPG: ed25519/56034877E1F87C35
GPG: rsa4096/1318EFAC5FBBDBCE
https://github.com/infinity0/pubkeys.git