[Debian-science-sagemath] Status of sagemath (and jupyter)

Ximin Luo infinity0 at debian.org
Sat Jan 21 17:56:00 UTC 2017

Ximin Luo:
> [..]
>
> I will see about adding canvas3d to the message, thanks for the suggestion. It's even rotatable, didn't expect that!
>
> [..]

Some help fixing this message up would be good. At the moment we say:

in jupyter:
Interactive 3D plots do not work in the notebook because JSmol cannot currently be packaged for Debian. [..] You may view a non-interactive plot by giving the option [..]

in sageNB:
3D plots do not work in SageNB because JSmol cannot currently be packaged for Debian.

So it seems to me both of these are slightly inaccurate (yes, I did write parts of them, whoops). I've never seen JSmol in action before, how interactive is it? I guess it obviously has more functionality than canvas3d if it's upstream Sage's default 3d viewer. But it's also not exactly right to imply canvas3d is non-interactive because one can rotate the plot at least with the mouse.

Anyone want to suggest a better message?

GPG: ed25519/56034877E1F87C35
GPG: rsa4096/1318EFAC5FBBDBCE
https://github.com/infinity0/pubkeys.git