[Debian-science-sagemath] Giac/Xcas ready for upload

Ximin Luo infinity0 at debian.org
Thu Feb 9 19:35:00 UTC 2017

Gilles Filippini:
> Hi Ximin,
>
> Ximin Luo a écrit le 09/02/2017 à 10:40 :
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've updated Giac and it's ready to be uploaded to NEW:
>>
>> https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/debian-science/packages/giac.git/
>>
>> in the _volatile_rc branch. My key is still not updated in the keyring (partly my fault, I need to adjust it) so a sponsor is needed.
>>
>> It's a very messy package upstream, would be good if someone could review it before uploading. I've kept Gilles in uploaders for now but you could also remove yourself if you want. I'd prefer to have a co-uploader though.
>
> It looks good.
>
> A couple of remarks though:
> 1- I fail to see the purpose of the debian/upstream-doc-fr folder. Why
>    not keeping these files in the upstream source tree, where they
>    belong?

If we add doc/fr/* to Files-Excluded: in d/copyright then uscan(1)/mk-origtargz(1) excludes them automatically when we run `uscan`. But some of it is distributable, so I put them in debian/upstream-doc-fr.

The other option is to add many specific doc/fr/xxx* patterns to d/copyright which I felt was less readable and probably less maintainable in the long run.

> 2- lintian reports copyright-refers-to-deprecated-bsd-license-file [1]
>
> [1] https://lintian.debian.org/tags/copyright-refers-to-deprecated-bsd-license-file.html

Yes, I consider this a "false positive" but I couldn't be bothered to override it in 4 separate binary packages. What I do is say in d/copyright:

License: BSD-3-clause
 On Debian systems, the complete text of the BSD 3 Clause License can
 be found in the file `/usr/share/common-licenses/BSD', replacing
 references to the University of California with the appropriate
 copyright holder.

then I don't have to repeat the full text of that license everywhere. Actually I think it is a bug that the "BSD-3-clause" license is normally quoted *with* the U-of-C, this is not how licenses are normally communicated. Licenses in general are only statements of "terms and conditions", independent of any copyright holders; and there is a separate statement somewhere saying "Software X copyight C is released under license L".

GPG: ed25519/56034877E1F87C35
GPG: rsa4096/1318EFAC5FBBDBCE
https://github.com/infinity0/pubkeys.git