[Debian-science-sagemath] Backporting sagemath

Ximin Luo infinity0 at debian.org
Mon Mar 6 20:50:00 UTC 2017

Julien Puydt:
> Hi,
>
> Le 06/03/2017 à 13:19, Andreas Tille a écrit :
>
>> I just like to announce that I started backporting several scientific
>> packages and Python dependencies with the goal to backport sagemath.
>> This is on one hand a warning for the brave backporters team and on the
>> other hand a request to join this for other Debian Science members in
>> case you find some spare cycles.  I did not yet dived into the whole
>> dependency tree for backporting but I expect that there are about 50
>> missing dependencies (which are not in Jessie or not in the needed
>> version).
>
> Ah, that might be why I saw some of "my" packages get uploads. I'm all
> for it : that's the kind of situation I put them under team maintenance
> in the first place.
>
> Good work, thanks!
>
> [..]

Hey, thank you for taking the initiative on this.

However I would suggest that it is probably not worth the effort to do this, especially for the *current* version. Debian stretch would probably be released as stable in about 3 months, and it may take you about that long to port all the current dependencies to jessie.

I'd suggest it may be more beneficial overall, to spend your free time helping with the current effort to update the stretch version to 7.5.1.

As for porting 7.5/7.6 etc to Debian stretch=stable in the future, this may be worth the effort but we should re-evaluate after stretch is released as stable and we have a clearer idea of what's needed.

GPG: ed25519/56034877E1F87C35
GPG: rsa4096/1318EFAC5FBBDBCE
https://github.com/infinity0/pubkeys.git