[Debian-science-sagemath] Sage 7.5 and Singular patches

Tobias Hansen thansen at debian.org
Wed Mar 15 23:03:33 UTC 2017

On 03/14/2017 09:15 AM, Ximin Luo wrote:
> Tobias Hansen:
>> On 03/11/2017 03:22 PM, Ximin Luo wrote:
>>> Tobias Hansen:

>>> I think if upstream do that then we should stick with it, but I'll see if I can trivially patch in a "warning notice" somewhere in the UI.
>>>
>>> Afterwards, we can immediately begin packaging 7.6.beta directly after we release 7.5.1, and possibly have 7.5.1 in unstable with 7.6.beta in experimental.
>>>
>>> I think this is better, since it means we'd stay mostly-ahead rather than mostly-behind. (I'm also suggesting this approach for the Debian rust team.)

>> I think we should not upload new versions to unstable during the freeze,
>> to keep the possibility to fix RC bugs in testing via unstable, no?
>> Whether we want to package beta versions depends a lot on how much
>> manpower and motivation we have, since that is even more work than just
>> uploading every stable release. I'd be already happy if we upload every
>> stable release (to unstable, during the freeze to experimental),
>> possibly using beta or rc versions when working on a package for a new
>> sage version.
>>

> I had thought there was a "testing-proposed-updates" mechanism but I can't find documentation on it now. I think it does exist though. Since sagemath does not have any build-dependencies on it at the moment I think uploading to unstable should not interfere with the stretch release, even for other packages.
>
> In terms of manpower and motivation, I think we can make it work with no extra overhead - just do exactly the same thing we have been doing, except target the current beta/rc version of Sage, and build+upload it to experimental. When that is released upstream, for Debian it should simply be a case of rebuild+upload to unstable, with minimal extra effort since we already did that for experimental.
>
> Then we can release 7.7 in Debian (perhaps even 7.6) within a week or so of it being release upstream, which is much better for everyone.

It's more work because we need to get everything into a working state
more often.

Even if there is a testing-proposed-updates mechanism (I also didn't
find anything about it when I looked), the freeze policy only allows
updates for severity important bugs when done via unstable.

So I guess we can upload Sage 7.5.1 to experimental now, right?