[Debian-science-sagemath] Status of sagemath backport (Was: Backporting sagemath)

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Fri Mar 17 13:29:29 UTC 2017

Hi,

On Mon, Mar 06, 2017 at 01:19:08PM +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
> I just like to announce that I started backporting several scientific
> packages and Python dependencies with the goal to backport sagemath.
> This is on one hand a warning for the brave backporters team and on the
> other hand a request to join this for other Debian Science members in
> case you find some spare cycles.  I did not yet dived into the whole
> dependency tree for backporting but I expect that there are about 50
> missing dependencies (which are not in Jessie or not in the needed
> version).

Most of the sagemath build dependencies are now available in Jessie
backports.  Kudos to Alexander Wirt who did not give up in accepting
the full tree (might be close to 100 packages).  Alexander, I hope this
was not the reason why you skipped CLT this year. ;-)

There is a remaining issue[1] with one predependency - I hope sagemath
maintainers will be able to find a solution.

There is another set of packages that needs backports and I'd like to
give this as a warning to the backports maintainers:  Since sagemath and
its dependencies needed GSL 2 libgsl-dev was updated to this version.
Since several packages in Jessie are linked against libgsl0ldbl 1.16 I
will push backports for those packages that might have a chance to be
installed together with sagemath.  Those packages are basically from
Debian Science and Debian Med team (both in CC).  Candidates are:

  tamuanova
  altree
  ampliconnoise
  augustus
  bcftools
  ea-utils
  eigensoft

and others.  I think I will not make single announcements of these
packages since maintainers of the packages usually know about the libgsl
transition.

Sorry for these massive uploads to Jessie backports and thanks for the
patience of those who bear the workload

     Andreas.

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-science/2017/03/msg00017.html

--