[Debian-science-sagemath] Sage 7.6

Gordon Ball gordon at chronitis.net
Sun Mar 26 12:46:37 UTC 2017

On 26/03/17 12:54, Tobias Hansen wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> sage 7.6 was released yesterday. It's already packaged and the main
> blockers are that jupyter-core, jupyter-notebook and ipywidgets (and
> maybe ntl) need to be updated and several floating point exceptions
> during doctesting.
>
> Gordon, could you update the three jupyter packages or do you want
> someone else to do it? For now it would be enough to have something in
> git so we can test and then eventually upload everything to experimental.

I had a discussion with infinity0 about this on IRC (#debian-science,
2017-03-20 ish). Updating these packages will be fairly involved, and
will need to involve other people.

jupyter-core should be easy (although it's not my package - maintainer
Snark/DPMT). I'm not sure how strong the internal dependencies to other
jupyter packages (nbformat, nbconvert, jupyter-client, traitlets,
prompt-toolkit, ipython, ipython-genutils) are - I suspect they're not
required but if we decide to update some during the freeze we may as
well update the lot.

jupyter-core: 4.2.1 -> 4.3.0
jupyter-client: 4.4.0 -> 5.0.0
prompt-toolkit: 1.0.9 -> 1.0.13
ipython: 5.1.0 -> 5.3.0
ipython-genutils: 0.1.0 -> 0.2.0
nbformat: 4.2.0 -> 4.3.0
nbconvert: 4.2.0 -> 5.1.1

jupyter-notebook: new dependency xterm.js, updated dependency codemirror
(5.8 -> 5.22; we're already only on 5.4 in unstable)

jupyter-notebook: 4.2.3 -> 4.4.1
libjs-codemirror: 5.4 -> 5.22
xterm.js: 2.4.0

xterm.js: lots of dependencies in package.json, although I think most of
them are only for the test/build system and it can probably be
relatively simply emulated, but it will require waiting for browserify
or emulating that, and the typescript type annotations for several
packages will be required.

node-typescript: 2.1.6 -> 2.2.0
@types/node: =nodejs version
browserify, gulp-*, mocha, chai, [...]: testing and build can probably
be emulated if necessary

ipywidgets: package is moving to typescript and phosphorjs, significant
change in build system, quite a few typing packages required. Upstream
has moved to github.com/jupyter-widgets/ipywidgets.

ipywidgets: 5.2.2 -> 6.0.0
phosphorjs: 0.7
ajv: 4.9
@jupyterlab/services
@types/backbone
@types/semver

phosphorjs: I think this only depends on typescript. Uses lerna
(lernajs.io) for build, but it's probably possible to emulate.

ajv: JSON schema validator: typescript, browserify

It's possible some of the JS stuff might also have a problem with the
relatively old version of nodejs (4 vs 7 current). All in all, updating
these requires jumping first on packaging a whole tranche of new
javascript stuff with all the attendant difficulties.

Does sagemath have a hard dependency on updating these packages?